About JCI Nigeria
Young Persons Award
The JCI Ten Outstanding Young Persons of Nigeria (JCIN TOYP) program honors ten outstanding young people under the age of 40 each year. These individuals exemplify the spirit of the JCI Mission, and they serve as stellar examples of entrepreneurial spirit and ethical leadership. Whether through a business, scientific endeavors or their impact on society, these young active citizens turn challenges into opportunities on a local and national level.
JCI Nigeria holds her Ten Outstanding Young Person (TOYP) Awards every year to recognise and applaud great efforts at nation-building and global impact among enterprising young leaders across Nigeria. This award system honours excellence and leadership strides from people between the ages of 18 – 40 and focuses on glorifying the seen and yet unseen works of these inspiring personalities.
Past recipients of the national awards include such well-known personalities as, Ibukun Awosika, Gbenga Sesan, Kanu Nwankwo, Rt. (Hon.) Rotimi Amechi, Richard Mofe Damijo, Femi Anikulapo-Kuti, Kafayat Shafau, Linda Ikeji, Japheth Omojuwa and Adebowale Adedayo. The awardees are then nominated for the JCI TOYP award (International) where 10 outstanding young persons are selected globally.
So far, we have had five (5) recipients at the international stage namely Ray Ekpu (1988), Dr. Modupe Osho (1996), Dr. Ola Orekunrin (2013), Imrana Alhaji Buba (2017), Adepeju Opeyemi Jaiyeoba (2017) and Temie Giwa-Tubosun(2021), all named before the age of 40.
Each of these inspiring TOYPs will now serve as brand ambassador for JCI Nigeria. As they continue to overcome unique challenges, they not only bring awareness to their own personal goals but shine a spotlight on the JCI mission as well, thanks to their thorough understanding of JCI’s goals to develop enterprising young leaders for this fast changing world through the four areas of opportunity. Their mission will be, over the course of the next 12 months, to use their aura and networks to enhance JCI’s brand awareness and visibility, recruit new members, motivate existing ones and open doors to new corporate partners.
The TOYP Process
Nominations are invited from the general public with provided guidelines
- Selected independent judges rank all those nominated accordingly using agreed metrics
- Our appointed Audit partners receives Nominations Summary Sheet from the judges and selects the top three (3) nominees in each category in line with the preference of the judges and makes this list (of 30) available to commence the public voting process.
- Voting is then open to the general public via online platforms. The votes hit a designated email / SMS short code direct to the Audit Partners.
- The Auditor then ranks the ten (10) honorees based on votes received in each category. The ten selected will then be officially recognized by as The JCI Ten Outstanding Young Persons of Nigeria at the awards ceremony.
- The Celebration and Award Ceremony to be held on the International Youth Day, will bring together youths across the federation with panelist and guest speakers from all the private and public sectors of the economy
Who can Apply?
TOYP recognizes exemplary young leaders, men and women between the ages of 18 and 40, who have excelled in their chosen path in life. they are selected in the following categories:
- Business, Economic and/or Entrepreneurial Accomplishment
- Political, Legal and/or Governmental Affairs
- Academic Leadership and/or Accomplishment
- Cultural Achievement
- Moral and/or Environmental Leadership
- Contribution To Children, World Peace and/or Human Rights
- Humanitarian and/or Voluntary Leadership
- Scientific and/or Technological Development
- Personal Improvement and/or Accomplishment
- Medical Innovation